Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The importance of Water

I went to a beauty "school" a few nights ago to receive training for one of the brands that we sell where I work. It's a great brand, and even though they like to point out that some of their ingredients are natural, and that they have a "natural origin", the reality is that they are still loaded with chemicals such as Propylene Glycol and artificial fragrances. The risks of these chemicals outweighs the benefits of the natural ingredients, so I generally try to avoid them.

Anyway, something the trainer said kind of stuck with me. She said "Why cover up with cosmetics when you can just take really good care of your skin?" Which is truly easier said than done, but it DOES make sense.

Do you thoroughly wash your face every evening? If you use a toner, is it alcohol-free and gentle? Do you have a suitable moisturizer for your skin? Are you using a rich eye-cream every morning and night? These are great starting points for your skin.

But most importantly...do you drink enough water? 4 cups a day is not enough. For good skin you need to be drinking at least 6 cups of filtered water every single day - CONSISTENTLY. It's easy to say you don't feel the need to drink that much when you fill up on multiple coffees, juices, and pops. So other than your morning coffee, try to avoid juices and pops so that you can get your fill of water first.

I know this isn't easy, but what if I told you that if you did this for FOUR DAYS IN A ROW, you would notice a VISIBLE IMPROVEMENT in your skin?!?

Something else I learned at this school...

Water, when you drink it will in:
60 seconds - hit your blood stream
3 minutes - get to your brain
10 minutes - reach your other organs
30 minutes - spread through your entire body.

So the next time you pick up a pop, ask yourself if you want that all over your body in 30 minutes. And reach for the water instead.

1 comment:

  1. This is sooo interesting... 3 minutes until it gets to your brain... wow.

    I never drink juice or pop... it's water, coffee and the occasional beer or glass of wine. Just weird to think that what you drink moves through your body so quickly. I've tried to give up coffee before, but I honestly think it makes me a better person haha. I don't drink enough that I think it's a problem... one or two (tops) a day.

    I remember before I started drinking coffee back in first year university, I was addicted to diet pepsi. Sooooo gross. All that aspartame running through my blood. Mmmm cancer..

    ReplyDelete