Sunday, February 21, 2010

Castor Oil - the unsung hero

Castor Oil, also called Palm of Christ is found in many commercial beauty products, from shampoos, cleansers, to moisturizers.

Castor Oil has the amazing ability to cleanse AND detox AND moisturize.

For many people it is tricky to give up their chemical-laden commercial beauty products. I know it was very hard for me when I first tried an all-natural organic shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo felt like it was stripping my hair, it literally felt like wet straw, and the conditioner felt oily and didn't give me that "slip" and detangling that I'm used to getting from conditioner. But one doesn't have to entirely give up and move to an all-natural shampoo and conditioner. There's a Canadian Company called Live Clean that makes shampoos and conditioners that are paraben and SLS-free, that contain 90% or more ingredients of natural origin, etc etc.

Anyway, whenever my hair feels lackluster I'll add a half-teaspoon or so of Castor Oil to shampoo in the palm of my hand before lathering my hair. It makes the shampoo thick, white and creamy. The end result is shiny soft hair!

Try this sometime! Let me know what you think of your hair!

Adding a little bit of Castor Oil into your all-natural liquid soap will also turn it into a thick white creamy soap that'll moisturize your body as it detoxifies! And though it's creamy, it won't leave behind residue that'll clog your razor (one of my pet peeves)... so it's also an excellent shaving soap!

I also like to mix a little bit of castor oil into my body cream/body oil to moisturize and detox. It is important to take a good thorough shower every day with a natural SLS free soap to remove toxins that accumulate on your skin's surface. ALWAYS avoid moisturizers that utilize Mineral Oil/Paraffin/Petrolatum/Paraffinum Liquidum as an ingredient. It's a "fake" moisturizer that your body can't absorb, that clogs pores, that prevents your skin from breathing, and causes toxins to get stuck in your skin instead of being sweated out.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I love Live Clean! Hey have you checked out the L'Oreal Ever Pure (I think that's what it's called) shampoos? I have some sitting in the bathroom right now, but I'm pretty sure it's still filled with junk ingredients. I just got into bed and can't drag myself right at the moment haha..

    ReplyDelete